Calzone is basically is the Italian name for stocking or trousers… and is a pizza that has been folded in on itself. The original pizza pocket! I’m not sure why they decided to name it after a pant leg, but hey it is easy to eat standing up?
This is a fantastic way to use up let overs. Make pizza dough, fill it with your favourite filling, or what ever is left over in the fridge add some mozzarella fold it over and bake it in the oven. The only ingredient you must have is mozzarella or it really isn’t a Calzone! Of course it is perfectly acceptable to decide to make Calzone with ingredients you buy on purpose, but this is a great way to use up left overs and everyone gets their own individual pizza! I alway make them with left overs and have one wrapped up in the freezer ready to go!
If you don’t have, or couldn’t be bothered making pizza dough, you could use some butter puff or short pastry and make it exactly the same way, but then it would a type of pastry 🙂 but who cares really.
1 Quantity of Pizza Dough*
(If you own a Thermomix, use the recipe out of the Everyday Cookbook or Basic Cookbook just double the kneading time)
3 Cups of Plain Bakers Flour (plain flour is fine, but bakers flour has a higher protein content and makes better dough)
2 Teaspoons of Yeast
300ml of Luke Warm Water
1 Teaspoon of Sugar
20ml of Olive Oil
Extra Flour for Kneading
Pizza Dough Method
1. Place warm water, yeast and sugar into a bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved and leave aside for 4 minutes.
2. Ad all other ingredients and mix well.
3. Kneed ingredients together after mixing for about 10 minutes and allow dough to prove in a warm sport for at least 2 hours OR place in a covered, oiled bowl in the fridge for the rest of the day or overnight and use when you need it.
*I make the pizza dough in the morning and leave it in the fridge to prove all day. Get the Calzone made in the afternoon, put some in the freezer and leave what I want to cook in the fridge ready until needed.
Method – Calzone
Pre heat oven to 200 – 220ºC and line a few trays with baking paper depending one how many calzone you re going to make.
1. With your pre made pizza dough cut into approximately 90 – 100g sections and roll into balls
2. On a floured board, roll out the pizza dough rolling from the centre out then turn, centre out then turn. This way you will get a nice round pizza.
3. Place left over ingredients on half of the pizza round, then top with grated mozzarella.
4. Lightly wet the edges of half the pizza (not too much or it will be too sticky) with a pastry brush. and fold over the pizza dough.
5. Place Calzone on a prepared baking try and fold over the edges again to form a sort of rope around the ingredients.
6. Cook in a pre heated hot oven (200 – 220ºC) for 20 – 25 minutes until golden brown.
7. Serve and eat… Be careful when you open them as they will be steaming hot!
Here are a list of some of the variations I make. all will include mozzarella, so I don’t have to keep writing it.
Tomatoes and basil; Left over Bolognese; Capsicum compote; Ham, onion and egg; mashed up left over vegetables and egg. Really it is up to you, if you like ham and pineapple do that. If you like cheese and anchovies eat your heart out… You are only limited by your imagination and what left overs you have in the fridge!
Thanks for reading.
If you like this recipe maybe you would enjoy these!