I seem to be confessing a lot of food things at the moment 🙂 Here is another. I love Chicken Luncheon Meat.. you know that bleached white little knob of chicken luncheon in the white and blue packet… it tastes even better with the fake Kraft cheese on a quarter of a salada. There I have said it. Honestly I can’t remember the last time I ate it because reading the labels of what is in these products make me want to gag… So what do I do.. I was craving said luncheon meat the other day and I thought, maybe I could make some in the Thermomix and make it healthy? So that is what I did. If you don’t own a thermomix, a high powered blender and a steamer could do the same thing, you will just have to adjust times and speeds for your machine.
If you have really fussy kids, significant others or yourself, then just leave out the vegetables and make plain chicken, it does have a bit of a grey colour (which makes me wonder what they do to the chicken to make it white) but I must say, the flavour of the vegetables really makes it.
The other thing I struggled with is that it is steamed in plastic wrap (it is BPA free plastic wrap) but I’m not a fan. However, baking paper doesn’t quite cut it, so plastic wrap it is. If you really don’t want to use plastic, put the mixture in a container that fits into your steamer. It will just take longer to cook, but will be just as delicious and you get uniform shape. I like the plastic because you get that bit at the end of the roll that is always my favourite!
I have made this many different times, to try and get it right, so I hope that you like this version. It is fantastic for lunches and then you have sliced meat in the fridge without all the nasties that you get in every other type of luncheon roll. I’m working on a devon at the moment, but I haven’t had real success with getting the meat tasting right, but I will keep working.
20g Olive Oil
6-8 Sage Leaves
Handful Parsley Leaves
3 Sprigs Thyme (leaves only)
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Ground Pepper
600g Chicken Thighs
8 Gelatine Leaves
Water (to soften gelatine)
1000ml (g) Water (for steaming in the Varoma)
1. Place gelatine leaves into a bowl with some cold water covering them and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
2. Place onion, carrot and zucchini into mixing bowl and chop 5 seconds/speed 5, then scrape down the bowl.
3. Add oil and sauté 5 minutes/Varoma/speed 2.
4. Add your herbs, and blend 5 seconds/speed 6, then scrape down the bowl.
5. Add your chicken thighs and salt and pepper and using the spatular to help the ingredients move around the bowl more easily mince chicken 15 – 30 seconds/speed 8.
6. Squeeze out the water from the gelatine leaves and using the spatular to help the ingredients move around the bowl more easily mix in the gelatine, 30 seconds/speed 5.
7. Pour mixture onto 3 layers of plastic wrap. I place it on the bench so there are two sheets connected and one covering the join.
8. Wrap up the ingredients as tight as you can, twirling the ends so that no mixture comes out and the mixture is pushed together. Place 1000g of water into the mixing bowl, place the rolled mixture into the Varoma with the lid on and cook 30 minutes/Varoma/speed 2.
9. When finished, remove Varoma from bowl and set aside to allow luncheon to cool. When able to be touched place into the fridge to completely cool. Unwrap and slice as need. The luncheon meat MUST be completely cold before cutting for the best result.
This meat will last in the fridge for up to a week (if it lasts that long). I haven’t tried freezing it, but I can’t see why it would freeze well, especially if you cut it first.
I hope you and or your families enjoy this healthy alternative luncheon roll.