I have a confession to make… I LOVE macaroni and Cheese. I don’t eat it very often because when I do eat it, it is just macaroni and cheese. I should have a lovely green salad, some vegetables, or just have a small portion as an accompaniment with a lamb chop and veggies but I don’t. I just sit down to this delicious creamy cheesy pasta!
This macaroni cheese was developed out of necessity, as I use to eat the continental four cheeses pasta or their macaroni and cheese, you know the one in the packet, but I kept reading the back of the packet before I made it and one day I just couldn’t put all those preservative and unrecognisable ingredients into my body anymore! So after a few goes at getting it just right, this is MY favourite MAC & CHEESE. I always make 500g of pasta as the macaroni and cheese freezes really well. I pop it into aluminium foil oven containers and put it in the freezer ready to use. Sometimes I take it out in the morning, but mostly I just remove the lid and put it straight in the over, it just takes a bit longer.
If you are a parent and your kids love macaroni and cheese, add 2 cups of steamed pureed vegetables to the white sauce and they will be none the wiser. I usually mash up white and or orange vegetables like cauliflower, carrot and pumpkin, as they are the same colour as the sauce!
The grated onion and the smoky paprika make this dish really delicious and gives it lots of flavour. You can also substitute the cheese for any particular cheese you like or have at home. I like to make recipes that can be adjusted for most palates as it makes it easier to feed everyone! I have a few wonderful friends that are unable to eat onion and garlic so we experimented and found the grated swede is a wonderful substitute for onion and or garlic. I also have a few You Tube links that you may like to check out with me cooking in my kitchen ADULT MAC and CHEESE or maybe KiDS MAC and CHEESE and this is the link on You Tube for how to make a BASIC WHITE SAUCE.
Basic White Sauce x 2 (you need two lots to make it nice and creamy)
500g of Dried Pasta (macaroni or penne)
1 cup of Tasty Cheese
1 cup of Parmesan
1/2 cup of Mozzarella
1/2 cup of your Favourite Cheese (I love Smoked Provolone Dolce)
2 Tablespoons of Smokey Paprika
Salt and Pepper to taste
Basic White Sauce (you need to double this for 5oog of pasta)
4 Tablespoons of Plain Flour
4 Tablespoons of Butter
400ml of Milk (plus and extra 100ml if you need it, as it depends on your flour)
For Thermomix Method use the Bechamel Sauce Recipe on page 32 of the Everyday Cookbook
1. Boil pasta in a big pot of water, drain and put back into the pot.
2. Grate onion and place on hot pasta and stir in.
3. Add the double portion of white sauce mixture and paprika and stir well. (If you sift the paprika in it will combine a bit better and not have any lumps)
4. Combine cheeses and add 3/4 of the cheese to pasta, stir again. (make sure you leave enough to sprinkle on the top)
5. Salt and Pepper to taste!
6. Place in an oven proof dish and then into your freezer containers and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of them all.
7. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees until just browning on the top (approximately 15-20 mins) EAT!
I would love to hear about your favourite macaroni and cheese recipes and your little twists that make your recipe the best!
1. If you are making the 500g of pasta you will still have to boil the pasta on the stove.
2. Chop onions for 5 sec/speed 7 and add to hot pasta.
3. Make a double amount of Bechamel Sauce that can be found on page 32 of your EDC or page 246 of your BCB cooking it for 14 mins/90°/speed 4.
4. Add the paprika to the white sauce and cook for another 1 min/90°/speed 4.
5. Pour sauce into pasta and stir.
6. Combine cheeses and add 3/4 of the cheese to pasta, stir again. (make sure you leave enough to sprinkle on the top)
7. Place in an oven proof dish and then into your freezer containers and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of them all.
8. Bake in the oven at 180° until just browning on the top, (approximately 15-20 mins) EAT!
Normally I say Enjoy Irresponsibly, but you really should enjoy this dish responsibly as apart of a balanced diet 🙂